The history of Sampson Funeral Home begins with Peter Running, who built the original two-story building in the early 1890’s to house his hardware store. In 1896 Peter died, and his son A.J. Running took over the store’s operation and continued to manage it until 1904 when he joined with G.F. Martin, who owned and operated a livery stable, and the firm became known as Running and Martin. In 1910, A.J. Running became an undertaker and added that line of work to the firm, and soon after a furniture department and Ford dealership was added.
In 1937, Frederick J. Bremer went to work for Running and Martin at the funeral home, hardware store and Ford Dealership. Fritz became sole owner of these three businesses in 1939, but later sold the hardware store in 1953.
In 1965, Fritz sold the funeral home to Don Goodrich, who owned and operated the business for 22 years until 1987, when Bruce and Lynn Sampson purchased the funeral home and moved the business to it’s current location in 1994. The building was previously a plastic bag factory called, Dairyland Plastics Co., owned by Pinky and Ethel Tallman.
In October of 2012 Sampson Funeral Home merged with Lenmark-Gomsrud-Linn Funeral Home in Eau Claire.