Learn our story, from the beginning and into the future.
Ever since we opened our doors we have approached life (and death) differently. While some just see the end of a loved one’s life as a time for grief and mourning, we prefer to think of it as a time for reflection, appreciation and even celebration. This is evident in everything we do, from the way we conduct our services to the amenities we choose to offer. We are not just a funeral home. We are a close knit community dedicated to honoring, sharing and preserving the amazing and inspirational stories that are life.
In a nutshell? Experience, professionalism, compassion, and empathy.
We've learned a lot over many years. Like how to present options without overwhelming. And how to meet the needs of many caring parties. People come to us in difficult times, and we respond kindness, calmness and expertise. Our goal is to create a beautiful occasion and make you feel welcome, always. We spend our days planning with families. We stay up to date with industry developments. And we make hard times a little easier.
Learn the legacy.
The history of Sampson Funeral Home begins with Peter Running, who built the original two-story building in the early 1890’s to house his hardware store. In 1896 Peter died, and his son A.J. Running took over the store’s operation and continued to manage it until 1904 when he joined with G.F. Martin, who owned and operated a livery stable, and the firm became known as Running and Martin. In 1910, A.J. Running became an undertaker and added that line of work to the firm, and soon after a furniture department and Ford dealership was added.
In 1937, Frederick J. Bremer went to work for Running and Martin at the funeral home, hardware store and Ford Dealership. Fritz became sole owner of these three businesses in 1939, but later sold the hardware store in 1953.
In 1965, Fritz sold the funeral home to Don Goodrich, who owned and operated the business for 22 years until 1987, when Bruce and Lynn Sampson purchased the funeral home and moved the business to it’s current location in 1994. The building was previously a plastic bag factory called, Dairyland Plastics Co., owned by Pinky and Ethel Tallman.
In October of 2012 Sampson Funeral Home merged with Lenmark-Gomsrud-Linn Funeral Home in Eau Claire.